Friday, January 22, 2010

Building a Better Bento - Sushi, Strawberry, and Pea Bento



Date of Creation: 2/16/09

Ingredients: Top - Sliced strawberries and snow peas.
Bottom - Sushi roll with fake crab and cucumber, soy sauce, wasabi, and spreadable cheese wedge.

I think this was my first attempt at rolling sushi with a mat, and definately the first bento I took where I made my own sushi. This was also my first attempt at using brown rice for sushi. I think it worked out pretty well taste wise. My main complaint with brown rice in sushi is that it doesn't have the same visual impact, but I can live with that sacrifice in the name of better nutrition. All in all, I'm fairly pleased with this lunch, at least color wise. I still like the contrast between the peas and the strawberries.

Improvements: There isn't too much I would do with this box, aside from rolling the sushi better, and using some of the rind of the cucumber, instead of the insides, to give a better color varience in the sushi. Also, the cheese wedge was pretty extra in this box. It didn't go as well with the peas as I had hoped. Also, I wouldn't use a piggy sauce bottle for the wasabi. It was hard to get in there, it didn't come out at lunch when I wanted to use it, and it was a pain in the butt to wash the bottle afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment