Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How To - Make Couscous

Couscous is one of those things that I should use in bentos more often than I do. It's a carbohydrate that's decently full of fiber, fairly filling, and a fun break from rice or bread. Most of the couscous that's sold in the US is instant, which also a plus for speed bento making in the morning.

This morning I made some for my lunch, and this is the fastest and easiest way to prepare it that I have found.



First up - measure 1/4 cup of the dried couscous into a container that has a tight fitting lid. Plastic wrap can be used instead of the lid, if needed.



Boil just a little more than 1/4 cup of water. You'll lose some of the water to steam, so you only need to go a little bit over the 1/4 measure mark to compensate. I'm using the favorite appliance of college students - a hot pot. If you're only boiling a small amount of water, it works really fast.



Couscous on its own can be a little bland. While the water boiled, I added a little instant dashi and some garlic powder to the mix.



Once the water has boiled, pour into to the container with the couscous.



Quickly put the lid on the container and let sit for 5 minutes. This is enough time to do other lunch prep, or, as I did this morning, run and get ready to go to work.

After the five minutes are up, you'll need to fluff the couscous with a fork. By this time it will have gone from being the hard granules to quite fluffy and soft in nature, and will be ready to eat or put in your lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment